THE Construction Plant-hire Association (CPA) will announce this year’s award-winning apprentices and trainees at the CPA Stars of the Future 2020 event, taking place on September 17 at 2pm.
Due to Covid-19, this year’s event will be held online, with attendees able to pre-register at https://us02web.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_GseKJhakRgmCN6I4XMcgxQ
Over 70 nominations have been received – the highest figure in the eight years that the awards programme has been running.
Stars of the Future, which is sponsored by headline sponsor Sunbelt Rentals, was originally introduced to recognise outstanding plant mechanics and technicians but the scope has been extended in recent years to reward further job roles in the construction plant sector and recognise new Trailblazer apprenticeships.
A number of regional and national awards will be announced during the ceremony across seven primary categories:
- Level 2 Plant Mechanic of the Year sponsored by L Lynch Plant Hire
- Level 3 Plant Technician of the Year sponsored by L Lynch Plant Hire
- Plant Operative of the Year jointly sponsored by ACOP Group and L Lynch Plant Hire
- Lifting Technician of the Year sponsored by Liebherr (GB Ltd)
- Hire Controller of the Year sponsored by P Flannery Plant Hire
- Judges’ Special Award sponsored by the NOCN Group
- CPA Prize for the Best Personal Statement from a Nominee
Prizes up for grabs include Snap-on tool kits, training courses and iPads to support the various occupations. Stars of the Future 2020 had a two-tier judging process – the CPA selection panel and a panel of external industry-expert judges who decided the eventual winners of each category.
The external judging panel included Siôn Morgan Jones of ACOP Group, Kirsty Archbold-Laming of Southern Hoist Services, Arran Willis of Liebherr (GB) Ltd, Paul Whitehead of Highways England, Tim Brownbridge of BAM Nuttall and Ed Hudson, who has recently retired but continues to act as co-chair for the construction equipment maintenance apprenticeship working group.