Perth recycling firm is powering on through

Binn Group Weima

A Perthshire provider of recycling and waste management services has chosen a Weima Powerline shredder to boost its operations.

Binn Group operate a materials recycling facility where a variety of materials are separated, graded, baled and sent to re-processors. Over 86% of materials entering the facility are transformed into useful commodities. The remaining 14% is processed into SRF (Solid Recovered Fuel), which generates electricity and power from materials that would have otherwise gone to landfill. 

To produce a quality SRF, the unrecyclable material must first be shredded down to between 250-300mm. This stage is completed by a HAAS TYRON 2000XL 2.0 shredder, which had previously been supplied by CRJ Services. The shredded material is then dried to around 15% moisture. Once dried, the material is loaded into a hopper via a telehandler. A long part separator uses a roller to remove any long fibrous materials from the waste stream. 

Binn Group Weima

From there, the material enters a Nihot density separator which uses fans to blow light material over a gap onto the next stage of the process. Heavy material falls onto a separate conveyor where any recyclable material is manually picked. The light materials then pass onto a picking station where staff remove non-conforming materials, such as PVC and cardboard. The remaining material passes under both an over-band magnet and eddy current magnet, which removes any ferrous and non-ferrous metals. 

The resulting material is fed into a high-speed shredder, which shreds the material down to around 40mm before being baled, wrapped and stored. The baled SRF is shipped to Denmark to be used as an alternative fuel in a cement kiln. 

Binn required a static high-speed shredder, capable of producing a consistent sized product at the desired tonnage per hour. Following various site visits and consultations, CRJ proposed that the Weima Powerline shredder was the ideal solution. 

Described by CRJ as a ‘universal single-shaft static shredder, capable of shredding a wide range of input materials’, the machine is said to be ideal for SRF production. The Powerline uses counter knives mounted diagonally for a ‘more aggressive cut’. 

To ensure a consistent final product, the Weima Powerline is fitted with a gate, which will only allow material to pass through to the outfeed conveyor once it has been reduced to a specific size.